Stephen Covey (1933 – 2012) was (co-)founder of the Franklin Covey Company (a large provider of training and consulting solutions with approximately 3,500 employees).
In the last thirty years, Stephen Covey himself provided training services to various leading international organizations.
He is also very well known for his research and model: the seven habits of highly effective people.
Biography Stephen Covey
Stephen Covey held a B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, an MBA in Business Administration from Harvard University and a doctorate (Ph.D) from Brigham Young University.
Stephen Covey lived with his wife and their family in Provo (Utah), the town where Brigham Young University is established. Stephen Covey was a professor there before he became successful with his book ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People’. A father of nine children and a grandfather of 50 grandchildren, Stephen Covey received the Fatherhood Award from the ‘National Fatherhood Initiative’ in 2003.
Stephen Covey is the founder of the Covey Leadership Center, which became ‘FranklinCovey‘ after it had been taken over by Franklinquest. The Covey Leadership Center specializes in providing training and selling products that improve productivity. Stephen Covey carved out a glittering career during his life.
Below you will find a number of the highlights:
- Stephen Covey sold over 20 million books (in 38 languages)
- His book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People was elected the most influential Business Book of the Twentieth Century.
- His last book, The 8th Habit, From effectiveness to greatness sold almost 400,000 copies.
- International Man of Peace Award.
- Fatherhood Award from the National Fatherhood Initiative (father of 9 children and grandfather of 50 grandchildren
- Author of the best-selling non-fiction audio book in history (The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People)
- Nr. 1 best-selling hard cover book about family life (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families)
- MBA from Harvard, obtained his doctorate from Brigham Young University
- Co-founder and Vice President of FranklinCovey, the leading global supplier of business services with branches in 123 countries
- International Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- During his life Dr. Stephen Covey was awarded eight honorary doctorates
10 famous quotes by Stephen Covey
- “There are three constants in life… change, choice and principles.”
- “Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out.”
- “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.”
- “The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.”
- “Live out of your imagination, not your history.”
- “Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.”
- “The key is taking responsibility and initiative, deciding what your life is about and prioritizing your life around the most important things.”
- “Life is not accumulation, it is about contribution.”
- “Employers and business leaders need people who can think for themselves – who can take initiative and be the solution to problems.”
- “The challenge of work-life balance is without question one of the most significant struggles faced by modern man.”
Publications and books by Stephen Covey et al.
- 2011. The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life’s Most Difficult Problems. ISBN 978-1451626261.
- 2009. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Network Marketing Professionals. ISBN 978-1-933057-78-1.
- 2008. The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child At a Time. ISBN 1-43910-326-7.
- 2004. The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. ISBN 0-684-84665-9.
- 2004. 6 Events: The Restoration Model for Solving Life’s Problems. ISBN 1-57345-187-8.
- 2004. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. ISBN 0-671-70863-5.
- 2000. Living the Seven Habits. ISBN 0-684-85716-2.
- 1994. First Things First. ISBN 0-684-80203-1.
- 1990. Principle Centered Leadership. ISBN 0-671-79280-6.
- 1982. The Divine Center. ISBN 1-59038-404-0.
- 1970. Spiritual Roots of Human Relations. ISBN 0-87579-705-9.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2009). Stephen Covey. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: http://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/stephen-covey/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”http://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/stephen-covey/”>ToolsHero.com: Stephen Covey</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!