Archie B. Carroll (Corporate Social Responsibility): Biography
Archie B. Carroll is a professor emeritus at the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia. He was a part-time director of the Nonprofit Management and Community Service Program. He has spent decades researching Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and authored several books on the subject and he is developer of the pyramid of CSR, also known as Carroll’s CSR pyramid. This article contains Archie B. Carroll‘s biography and publications.
Archie B. Carroll biography
Archie B. Carroll was born in Jacksonville, Florida. He attended Balboa High School and graduated in 1961. He then received three degrees from Florida State University, after which he began his teaching career at Athens College. This school is now known as Athens State University.
In 1972, he joined the faculty of the College of Business Administration at the University of Georgia. Here he would teach for the next 40 years.
During his career, Archie B. Carroll wrote dozens of books and published more than a hundred articles. Some of his best-known books are Corporate Responsibility: The American Experience, Business and Society: Ethics, Sustainability, and Stakeholder Management and Business Ethics: Brief Readings on Vital Topics.
In 1992, Carroll received the Sumner Marcus Award for Distinguished Service. A year later, he received a similar award for his research into the social performance of companies. In 1996 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Southern Management Association and from 1998 to 1999 he was president of the Society for Business Ethics.
In 2003, he received the Terry College of Business Distinguished Faculty Service Award. In 2005 he was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Management. In 2008, he received a PhD Alumni Award from Florida State University.
Books and Publications
- 2017. The institutionalization of corporate social responsibility reporting. Business & Society, 56(8), 1107-1135.
- 2016. Stakeholder thinking in three models of management morality: a perspective with strategic implications. In The Corporation and its Stakeholders (pp. 139-170). University of Toronto Press.
- 2016. Carroll’s pyramid of CSR: taking another look. International journal of corporate social responsibility, 1(1), 1-8.
- 2015. Corporate social responsibility: The centerpiece of competing and complementary frameworks. Organizational dynamics.
- 2014. Business and society: Ethics, sustainability, and stakeholder management. Cengage Learning.
- 2012. Corporate responsibility: the American experience. Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. The business case for corporate social responsibility: A review of concepts, research and practice. International journal of management reviews, 12(1), 85-105.
- 2008. Integrating and unifying competing and complementary frameworks: The search for a common core in the business and society field. Business & society, 47(2), 148-186.
- 2008. A history of corporate social responsibility: Concepts and practices. The Oxford handbook of corporate social responsibility, 1.
- 2004. Managing ethically with global stakeholders: A present and future challenge. Academy of Management Perspectives, 18(2), 114-120.
- 2003. Philanthropy as strategy: When corporate charity “begins at home”. Business & Society, 42(2), 169-201.
- 2003. Corporate social responsibility: A three-domain approach. Business ethics quarterly, 13(4), 503-530.
- 2000. Ethical challenges for business in the new millennium: Corporate social responsibility and models of management morality. Business Ethics Quarterly, 10(1), 33-42.
- 2000. A commentary and an overview of key questions on corporate social performance measurement. Business & Society, 39(4), 466-478.
- 1999. Moral reasoning skills: Are entrepreneurs different?. Journal of Business Ethics, 19(3), 229-240.
- 1999. Corporate social responsibility: Evolution of a definitional construct. Business & society, 38(3), 268-295.
- 1998. The four faces of corporate citizenship. Business and society review, 100(1), 1-7.
- 1997. Understanding stakeholder thinking: Themes from a Finnish conference. Business Ethics: A European Review, 6(1), 46-51.
- 1996. A retrospective examination of CSR orientations: have they changed?. Journal of Business Ethics, 15(2), 199-206.
- 1994. Social issues in management research: experts’ views, analysis, and commentary. Business & Society, 33(1), 5-29.
- 1994. Corporate citizenship perspectives and foreign direct investment in the US. Journal of Business Ethics, 13(3), 157-169.
- 1991. The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders. Business horizons, 34(4), 39-48.
- 1991. Assessment of ethical performance of organization members: A conceptual framework. Academy of Management Review, 16(4), 667-690.
- 1987. In search of the moral manager. Business Horizons, 30(2), 7-15.
- 1985. An empirical examination of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and profitability. Academy of management Journal, 28(2), 446-463.
- 1979. A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance. Academy of management review, 4(4), 497-505.
How to cite this article:
Janse, B. (2022). Archie B. Carroll (Corporate Social Responsibility): Biography. Retrieved [insert date] from Toolshero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/archie-b-carroll/
Published on: 04/14/2022 | Last update: 12/15/2022
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/archie-b-carroll/”>Toolshero: Archie B. Carroll (Corporate Social Responsibility): Biography</a>
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?