Bruce Tuckman (1938) is a scientist, consultant and Professor Emeritus of Educational Psychology at The Ohio State University.
Biography Bruce Tuckman
In 1960 Bruce Tuckman obtained his Bachelor’s degree Bachelor (B.S.) in psychology from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
He gained for his Master’s degree (M.A.) from Princeton in1962 and his doctorate (Ph.D) in 1963.
From 1965 to 1978 he held a variety of posts at Rutgers University before moving to the City University of New York.
Between 1978 and 1983 Bruce Tuckman was Dean and Professor at the School of Education, Baruch College of the City University of New York.
After 1983 he took on a post as Professor of Education at Florida State University. In 1998 Bruce Tuckman took up a new challenge as the Founding Director and Professor of Education at the Walter E. Dennis Learning Center at The Ohio State University.
Bruce Tuckman’s research focuses on motivation.
His work is primarily concerned with exploring the links between motivational factors and school achievement and interventions that enhance the self-regulatory behaviour of students (such as goal setting, planning, and incentives).
Bruce Tuckman has written various books and articles and is a world renowned and respected scientist.
Famous quotes by Bruce Tuckman
- “It’s manifestation in the form of self-regulatory behavior, and its absence in the form of procrastination, particularly as applied to the behavior of studying.”
- “Human accomplishments result from the reciprocal influences of external circumstances, a host of personal determinants, including endowed potentialities, acquired competencies, reflective thought, and a high level of self initiative.”
Publications and books by Bruce Tuckman et al.
- 2012, 1972. Conducting educational research. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- 2010. Educational psychology. Cengage Learning.
- 1999. A tripartite model of motivation for achievement: Attitude- Drive-Strategy. Paper presented in the Symposium: Motivational Factors Affecting Student Achievement-Current Perspectives, at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Boston.
- 1997. Using tests as an incentive to motivate procrastinators to study. Journal of Experimental Education, 66, 141-147.
- 1996. Theories and Applications of Educational Psychology. New York: McGraw Hill. Third edition with D. Moneth published 2001.
- 1996. The relative effectiveness of incentive motivation and prescribed learning strategy in improving college students’ course performance. Journal of Experimental Education, 64, 197-210.
- 1993. Motivational components of college students’ performance and productivity. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Atlanta, GA.
- 1992. The effect of student planning and self-competence on self-motivated performance. Journal of Experimental Education, 60, 119-127.
- 1992. The effects of informational feedback and self-beliefs on the motivation to perform a self-regulated task. Journal of Research in Personality, 26, 121-127.
- 1991. The development and concurrent validity of the Procrastination Scale. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 51, 473-480.
- 1991. The effect of teacher encouragement on student self-efficacy and motivation for self-regulated performance. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 6, 137-146.
- 1990. Group versus goal-setting effects on the self-regulated performance of students differing in self-efficacy. Journal of Experimental Education, 58, 291-298.
- 1990. The relation between self-beliefs and self-regulated performance. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 5, 465-472.
- 1988. The Long Road to Boston. Tallahassee. FL: Cedarwinds Publishing.
- 1979. Evaluating Instructional Programs. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- 1977. Stages of small group development revisited. Group and Organizational Studies, 2, 419- 427.
- 1969. Preparing to Teach the Disadvantaged. New York: Free Press.
- 1965. Developmental sequence in small groups. Psychological Bulletin, 63, 384-399.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2014). Bruce Tuckman. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/bruce-tuckman/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/bruce-tuckman/”>ToolsHero.com: Bruce Tuckman</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!