Dale Carnegie biography and books
Dale Carnegie (1888 – 1955) was an great American writer, lecturer and the developer of famous courses in effectiveness, interpersonal and communication skills. Dale Carnegie is mostly know for his famous best-seller How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936).
Who is Dale Carnegie? His biography
Dale Carnegie was born in 1888 on a farm in Maryville Missouri. He grew up around Bedison and attended rural Rose Hill and Harmony one room schools. In 1904, his family moved to Warrensburg, Missouri.
He enjoyed speaking in public and joined his school’s debate team. During high school, this interest grew. In 1906 Dale completed his high school and in 1908 he obtained an education degree at the State Teachers College in Warrensburg. Later in his life, he lived in Forest Hills New York.
After college he started his career in sales, first correspondence and later bacon, soap and lard for Armour & Company. Because Dale Carnegie was so successful at it, they expanded his territory and became a national leader.
Lecturing and training
After saving some money, Dale Carnegie quits his job and pursue his dream of becoming a adult education movement lecturer. This was not for long and he ended up at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.
With little success as an actor, he got the idea of public speaking. After the first courses, he started to improvise and discovered certain techniques about publicly speaking that were successful. This discovery build his confidence and helped him in upgrading his weekly earnings.
Because he was so successful at it, he started to write some articles about public speaking. One of the titles was How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936) and became a worldwide best-seller. The book has sold more than 5 million copies in 31 languages.
In addition, Dale Carnegie started to develop the first sales training course. This became also a success and in 1954 Dale Carnegie’s company became incorporated as Dale Carnegie & associates, Inc.
Dale Carnegie died on November 1 1955 and left his company to disseminate his legacy and core principles for decades to come.
The company expanded international and became worldwide successfully known because of her training and solutions. You can find more information on their website: https://www.dalecarnegie.com/
Famous quotes by Dale Carnegie
- “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.”
- “When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.”
- “You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind.”
- “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.”
- “Remember happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.”
- “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.”
- “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”
- “Happiness doesn’t depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude.”
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
- “It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.”
Books and publications of Dale Carnegie
- 2011, 1990. The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking. Pocket Books; unknown edition.
- 2010. How to win friends and influence people. Simon and Schuster.
- 2010. The Leader In You. Simon and Schuster.
- 2008. Speak More Effectively.
- 2004. How to stop worrying and start living. Simon and Schuster.
- 2003. The sales advantage: How to get it, keep it, and sell more than ever. Simon and Schuster.
- 1998. Dale Carnegie’s Lifetime Plan for Success: The Great Bestselling Works Complete in One Volume. Sterling Publishing Company, Inc.
- 1996. Dale Carnegie’s Golden book.
- 1991. How to Develop Self-Confidence and Influence People. Simon and Schuster.
- 1990. How To Enjoy Your Life And Your Job. Pocket Books.
- 1978. Managing through people. Simon & Schuster.
- 1959. Dale Carnegie’s Scrapbook: a Treasury of the Wisdom of the Ages. Dale Carnegie & Associates.
- 1955. Public speaking and influencing men in Business.
- 1948. How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.
- 1944. Dale Carnegie’s Biographical round-up. Windmill Press.
- 1937. Five Minute Biographies. Blue Ribbon Books.
- 1936. How to Win Friends and Influence People. Pocket Books.
- 1934. Little Known Facts About Well Known People.
- 1932. Lincoln, the Unknown. Century Company.
- 1926. Public Speaking: a Practical Course for Business Men.
- 1920. Public Speaking: the Standard Course of the United Y. M. C. A. Schools.
- 1915. Art of Public Speaking, with Joseph Berg Esenwein.
How to cite this article:
van Vliet, V. (2016). Dale Carnegie. Retrieved [insert date] from Toolshero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/dale-carnegie/
Original publication date: 07/10/2016 | Last update: 07/08/2023
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/dale-carnegie/”>Toolshero: Dale Carnegie</a>
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?