Please help us by disabling your ad blocker.
Edward De Bono (1933) is a physician, writer, inventor and consultant. He is the originator of the term lateral thinking and has developed the famous decision making method: the Six Thinking Hats.
Biography Edward De Bono
Edward De Bono was born into a Maltese aristocratic family. His father was a renowned physician and his mother was an intellectual journalist, He studied at St. Edward’s College in Malta and, nicknamed ‘genius’, he graduated at the age of 15. Edward De Bono then obtained a medical degree from the University of Malta.
He was a Rhodes Scholar at Christ Church, Oxford where he obtained a Master’s Degree in psychology and physiology. He also holds a Ph.D. degree and a D. Phil degree in medicine from Trinity College, Cambridge a D. Des degree (Doctor of Design) of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), and an LL.D. degree from the University of Dundee.
Edward De Bono is a member of the Medical Research Society and the exclusive Athenaeum Club. Edward De Bono has held faculty positions at the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, London and Harvard. He is professor at Malta, Pretoria, Central England and Dublin City University. Edward De Bono holds the Da Vinci Professor of Thinking Chair at the University of Advancing Technology in Phoenix in the USA.
He was one of the 27 ambassadors for the European Year of Creativity and Innovations 2009. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2005. Edward De Bono established the Cognitive Research Trust (CoRT). He has written 82 books that have been translated into 41 languages.
In 1995, Edward De Bono created the futuristic documentary film ’2040- Possibilities by Edward De Bono’, a lecture designed to prepare an audience of viewers released from a cryogenic freeze for contemporary society (2040).
Edward De Bono has a range of ‘deliberate thinking techniques’- that emphasizes thinking as a deliberate act. Edward De Bono’s techniques are used in organizations such as IBM and Dupont.
10 famous quotes by Edward de Bono
- “Humour is by far the most significant activity of the human brain.”
- “Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.”
- “Logic will never change emotion or perception.”
- “Most of the mistakes in thinking are inadequacies of perception rather than mistakes of logic.”
- “A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.”
- “Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven.”
- “If you wait for opportunities to occur, you will be one of the crowd.”
- “The need to be right all the time is the biggest bar to new ideas.”
- “Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations.”
- “We need creativity in order to break free from the temporary structures that have been set up by a particular sequence of experience.”
Publications and books by Edward De Bono et al.
- 2016, 1999. Six Thinking Hats. Back Bay Books.
- 2016, 1992. I Am Right You Are Wrong. Penguin Books.
- 2016, 2009. How to be More Interesting. Penguin Books Ltd
- 2016. Bonting: Thinking to Create Value. Kite Group Ltd.
- 2016. The Happiness Purpose. Ebury Digital.
- 2016. Parallel Thinking. Ebury Digital.
- 2015, 1994. Teach Your Child How to Think. Penguin Books.
- 2015, 1990. Teach Yourself To Think. Penguin Books Ltd.
- 2015. 1976. Mechanism of Mind. Penguin Books.
- 2015. Simplicity. Penguin Books Ltd.
- 2013, 1993. Serious Creativity: Using the Power of Lateral Thinking to Create New Ideas. Harperbusiness.
- 2010. Think!: Before It’s Too Late. Random House UK.
- 2009. Lateral Thinking: A Textbook of Creativity. Epenguin.
- 2008. Creativity Workout: 62 Exercises to Unlock Your Most Creative Ideas. Ulysses Press.
- 2005. The Six Value Medals: The Essential Tool for Success in the 21st Century. Ebury Press.
- 2004. How to Have a Beautiful Mind. Ebury Press.
- 1996. Textbook of Wisdom. Penguin Putnam~childrens Hc.
- 1995. Sur/Petition – Going Beyond Competition. Harpercollins Publishers Ltd.
- 1992. Teaching Thinking. Penguin Books.
- 1992. Opportunities: A Handbook of Business Opportunity Search. Penguin Books.
- 1992. The Happiness Purpose. Penguin Books.
- 1991. Six Action Shoes. Longman Higher Education.
- 1990. Po: Beyond Yes and No. Intl Center for Creative Thinking.
- 1981. Atlas of Management Thinking. Gower Publishing Ltd.
- 1967. The Use of Lateral Thinking, introduced the term “lateral thinking”. Intl Center for Creative Thinking (June 1967).
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2011). Edward de Bono. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/edward-de-bono/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/edward-de-bono/”>ToolsHero.com: Edward de Bono</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!