Please help us by disabling your ad blocker.
Everett Rogers (1931-2004) was a communication specialist, sociologist, writer and teacher. He is best known for his theory about the diffusion of innovations theory in which he introduced the term ‘early adopter’ or pioneer.
Biography Everett Rogers
In addition to a Bachelor’s degree (BSc.) and a Master’s degree (MSc.) in agriculture, Everett Rogers also obtained a doctorate (Ph.D.) from the University of Iowa State. His sociology and statistics dissertation is about the resistance of farmers to use innovative techniques in agriculture. After he had completed his dissertation, Everett Rogers continued to work on his findings and expanded his research by doing follow-up studies.
Everett Rogers, who was a 30-year old scientist and teacher at that time, gained considerable recognition and status with this publication. Throughout the years, and after expanding his research, his work in communications and technology adoption studies increasingly gained wider acceptance. As a result of these developments, various books and articles were published.
From 1990 Everett Rogers turned his attention to the field of Entertainment Educations. In addition to evaluating a radio drama to improve public health in Tanzania, he wrote a book with Arvin Singhal entitled Entertainment Education: A Communication Strategy for Social Change.
Around that time Everett Rogers also established an annual award: “the Everett M. Rogers Award for Achievement in Entertainment-Education”, which recognizes outstanding practice or research performances in the field of Entertainment Education.
Publications and books by Everett Rogers et al.
- 2003 / 1995 / 1983 / 1962. Diffusion of innovations. Free Press.
- 1999. Inter cultural communication. Prospect Heights, Waveland Press.
- 1994. A history of communication study: A biographical approach. Free Press.
- 1988 / 1972. Social change in rural societies. Englewood Cliffs. Prentice-Hall.
- 1986. Communication technology: The new media in society. Free Press.
- 1985. The media revolution in America and Western Europe. Ablex.
- 1984. Silicon Valley fever: Growth of high-technology culture. Basic Books.
- 1981. Communication networks: Toward a new paradigm for research. Free Press.
- 1976. Communication and development: Critical perspectives. Sage.
- 1976. New Product Adoption and Diffusion. Journal of Consumer Research, 2 (March), 290 -301.
- 1976. Communication in organizations. Free Press.
- 1973. Communication strategies for family planning. Free Press.
- 1969. Modernization among peasants: The impact of communication. Rinehart & Winston.
- 1960. Social change in rural society: A textbook in rural sociology. Appleton-Century-Crofts.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2012). Everett Rogers. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/everett-rogers/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/everett-rogers/”>ToolsHero.com: Everett Rogers</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!