Henri Fayol (1841 – 1925) was a French coal-mine engineer, director of mines and modern management theoretician. His scientific management theory forms the base for business administration and business management. In the academic world, this is also known as Fayolism. Henri Fayol provided one of the most influential modern management concepts of his time.
Biography Henri Fayol
Henri Fayol was born in a suburb of Istanbul, Turkey in 1841. His father, an engineer, was appointed building supervisor for the construction of a bridge over the Golden Horn (Galata Bridge). The family returned to France in 1847. He studied mining engineering at the ‘École Nationale Superieure des Mines’ academy in Saint-Étienne.
Henri Fayol started his career as an engineer at the mining company Compagnie de Commentry Fourchambeau Decazeville in Commentry at the age of 19. In 1888, he became the Managing Director of this mining company that employed over 1,000 people.
Henri Fayol was very successful in this position for over 30 years (until 1918). Around 1900 the mining company was one of the largest producers of iron and steel in France. At that time this industry was considered to be vital for France.
In addition to being the Managing Director of the Commentry-Fourchambault mining company (1900), Fayol was also one of the founders of the principles of modern management. His research work was in competition with that of another great theoretician namely Frederick Taylor.
In 1916, Henri Fayol published his work experience in the book Administration Industrielle et Generale (General and Industrial Management).
Publications and books by Fayol et al.
- 1929. Allgemeine und industrielle Verwaltung. München und Berlin: Oldenbourg.
- 1927. The importance of the administrative factor. Readings in management: Landmarks and new frontiers.
- 1921. L’incapacité industrielle de l’Etat: les PTT. Dunod.
- 1918. De l’importance de la fonction administrative dans la gouvernement des affaires…: Conférence faite le 24 novembre 1917. Ph. Renouard.
- 1918. Notice sur les travaux scientifiques et techniques de M. Henri Fayol. Gauthier-Villars.
- 1918. L administration positive dans l industrie. La Technique Moderne, 1, 74.
- 1917. Administration industrielle et générale; prévoyance, organisation, commandement, coordination, controle. Paris, H. Dunod et E. Pinat, OCLC 40224931
- 1916. General and Industrial Management. Martino Fine Books.
- 1887. Etudes sur le terrain houiller de Commentry: lithologie et stratigraphie (Vol. 1). impr. de Théolier.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2010). Henri Fayol. Retrieved [insert date] from toolshero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/henri-fayol/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/henri-fayol/”>toolshero:Henri Fayol</a>
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?