Biography Philippe Haspeslagh
Philippe Haspeslagh obtained an MBA and a DBA from Harvard Business School.
He joined INSEAD in 1979, where he currently directs the Strategic Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions Programme (since 1980) and the International Directors’ Forum (since 2002). He was a visiting Professor at Stanford Graduate School of Business (1984-1985) and Harvard Business School (1992).
Philippe Haspeslaghe was on leave of absence from 1996 to 1997 as Director of the Cabinet of the Belgian Ministry of Agriculture and SMEs. His research covers four areas namely: Corporate Strategy and the strategic process in diversified companies, the management of Mergers and Acquisitions, the Implementation of Value Based Management and Board Effectiveness. He co-developed the acquisition integration approach model with David Jemison. This model helps organizations select the best integration approach in case of mergers and acquisitions.
In 1984 Philippe Haspeslagh received the AT Kearney Award for outstanding research in the field of ‘general management’. In 1993, his book Managing Acquisitions: Creating Value through Corporate Renewal, which he co-authored with author David Jemison (Free Press/ McMillan 1991) received the George R. Terry Award for the most significant contribution to management from the Academy of Management. His article, co-authored with Tomo Noda and Fares Bouloss, about implementing value-based management titled “Managing for Value: It’s Not Just About the Numbers” was published in Harvard Business Review July-August 2001 issue.
Philippe Haspeslagh received the Outstanding MBA Elective Teacher Award at the INSEAD Singapore Campus. Philippe Haspeslagh has advised many organizations across the globe on corporate roles, strategic planning in diversified companies, acquisitions management and Managing for Value. He was responsible for several Board Effectiveness programmes and board reviews. Philippe Haspeslagh is Chairman, Audit Committee Chairman and a Board Member of several listed and unlisted companies, in the industrial as well as in the private equity sphere.
He is also a Board Member of the Board of Overseers of the Vlerick School of Management, Academic Director of the European Council on Corporate Strategy of the Conference Board and he was a Board Member of INSEAD (1992-1995).
Publications and books by Philippe Haspeslagh et al.
- 2010. Corporate governance and the current crisis. 10 (4) : 375 – 377.
- 2004. Strategy and performance management at DSM. INSEAD Case 01/2004 – 5165.
- 2003. Cadbury Schweppes (C): The performance management process. INSEAD Case 10/2003 – 4856.
- 2001. Getting the value out of value-based management: Findings from a global survey on best practices. Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation.
- 2001. Managing for value: it’s not just about the numbers. Harvard Business Review, 79(7), 64-75.
- 2001. Managing integration in global mergers and acquisitions. Internationales Fusionsmanagement: Erfolgsfaktoren grenzüberschreitender Unternehmenszusammenschlüsse, Stuttgart, 75-85.
- 1999. Managing the mating dance in equal mergers. Financial Times, 14-15.
- 1994. The acquisition integration process: a contingent framework.
- 1994. The management of corporate acquisitions. Macmillan Press Ltd. London.
- 1994. The Making of the Simply Better Healthcare company: SmithKline Beecham (A). INSEAD case study, 495-009.
- 1991. Making acquisitions work. INSEAD. Free Press.
- 1991. Managing acquisitions: Creating value through corporate renewal. Free Press.
- 1991. The challenge of renewal through acquisitions. Planning Review, 19(2), 27-30.
- 1990. The acquisition and integration of Zanussi by Electrolux: a case study. European Management Journal, 8(4), 414-433.
- 1989. Emphasizing Value Creation in Strategic Acquisitions. Mergers & Acquisitions, 24(2), 68-71.
- 1986. Acquisitions: Myths and reality. Insead.
- 1986. Conceptualizing the strategic process in diversified firms: the role and nature of the corporate influence process. Insead.
- 1985. Toward a concept of corporate strategy for the diversified firm. Graduate School of Business, Stanford University.
- 1983. Portfolio planning approaches and the strategic management process in diversified industrial companies.
- 1982. Portfolio planning-uses and limits. Harvard Business Review, 60(1), 58-73.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2011). Philippe Haspeslagh. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/philippe-haspeslagh/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/philippe-haspeslagh/”>ToolsHero.com: Philippe Haspeslagh</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!