W. Chan Kim is co-Director of the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute and The Boston Consulting Group (BCG).
he is also co-founder of the famous Blue Ocean Strategy approach.
Biography W. Chan Kim
W. Chan Kim is endowed Chair Professor of Strategy and International Management at INSEAD institute. Prior to joining INSEAD, W. Chan Kim was a professor at the University of Michigan Business School.
In addition to his professorship, Kim has been an advisor of numerous multinational organizations in Europe, the US and Asia.
In both his scientific and public career, W. Chan Kim has published numerous articles on strategy and managing multinational organizations.
He has mainly written articles that have been published in Academy of Management Journal, Management Science, Strategic Management Journal, Science Quarterly, Journal of International Business Studies, Harvard Business Review and Sloan Management Review.
The Journal of International Management recognizes W. Chan Kim as one of the world’s most influential people in the World in the field of strategic theory and practice development in global strategy.
He is also known as the co-author of Blue Ocean Strategy: How to create uncontested market space and make the competition irrelevant, Harvard Business School Press, 2005.
He has developed the blue and red oceans theory with Professor Renée Mauborgne.
The book has become an international best seller. It has sold more than two million copies and is published in 42 languages.
W. Chan Kim also received the Nobels Colloquia Prize for Leadership on Business and Economic Thinking in 2008. In addition to this Prize Kim has been awarded numerous other prizes including:
- The Eldridge Haynes Prize, awarded by the Academy of International Business and the Eldridge Haynes Memorial Trust van Business International, for the best original papers in the field of international business.
- Prix DCF 2009 (Prix des Dirigeants commerciaux de France 2009) in the category of «Stratégie d’entreprise».
- Several European Clearing House awards, including ‘Best Case in Strategy’ in 2008 and ‘Best Overall Case across all disciplines in 2009.
Publications and books by W. Chan Kim et al.
- 2008. Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant, Journal: Long Range Planning – LONG RANGE PLANN, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 226-228.
- 2005. Blue Ocean Strategy: How to create uncontested market space and make the competition irrelevant. Harvard Business School Press.
- 2005. Value innovation: a leap into the blue ocean, Journal of Business Strategy , vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 22-28.
- 2001. Knowing a winning business idea when you see one, Journal of Product Innovation Management – J PROD INNOVAT MANAGE, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 123-123.
- 1999. Creating New Market Space. Harvard Business School Press.
- 1998. Procedural justice, strategic decision making, and the knowledge economy, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J , vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 323-338, 1998.
- 1997. Value Innovation: The Strategic Lobic of High Growth.
- 1993. A theory of global strategic alliances: The case of the global auto industry, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 419-432.
- 1992. Global Strategy and Multinationals’ Entry Mode Choice, Journal: Journal of International Business Studies – J INT BUS STUD , vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 29-53.
- 1991. Implementing global strategies: The role of procedural justice, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J , vol. 12, no. S1, pp. 125-143.
- 1990. An eclectic theory of the choice of international entry mode, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 117-128.
- 1988. Searching for a dynamic theory of the multinational enterprise: A transaction cost model, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J , vol. 9, no. S1, pp. 93-104.
- 1987. Cross-cultural strategies, Journal of Business Strategy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 28-35.
- 1984. Intraregional foreign direct investment in the Asian pacific region, Journal: Asia Pacific Journal of Management – ASIA PAC J MANAG, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2011). W. Chan Kim. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/w-chan-kim/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/w-chan-kim/”>ToolsHero.com: W. Chan Kim</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!