Personal Reflection 2023
The end of the year makes for a good time to reflect on the past year and look back on your wins, successes and breakthroughs of 2023. It is also helpful to reflect on any setbacks and lessons learned, in order to create those steps forward you would like to make in 2024.
David Boud defines reflecting as “an important human activity in which people recapture, reflect on, and evaluate their experiences”. A reflective practice is founded on the belief that experiences alone do not necessarily lead to learning, but that conscious reflection is essential.
To assist you in this process, we’ve provided you with ten reflection questions that will lift you up and boost your motivation to step into 2024 with calm, clarity and confidence:
- What has been my biggest breakthrough and lesson this year?
- How can I celebrate this?
- What have been my most cherished or proudest moments?
- How can I build on those in 2024?
- When have I been feeling my best, what was I doing?
- What are my greatest strengths?
- Which positive habits would I like to bring into the next year?
- What new habits would I like to develop?
- What would I like to nurture next year that’s already in my life now?
- What change would I like to see in my life in 2024?
You can journal on these prompts to get clear on where you are at in your personal growth journey and where you would like to go, moving forward. Make sure to celebrate all the steps taken, big or small, and give thanks for the magnificent human being that you are!
Another way to reflect on what is going right in your life and which parts may need more attention, is to use The Wheel of Life® . This tool, which is inspired from Tibetan Buddhism, is intended to help identify how your spend your time and how satisfied you are about the different parts and areas that life has to offer.
Lastly, you might’ve heard about the Japanese concept of Ikigai. ‘Ikigai’ is a concept which originated in the Japanese culture that, simply put, means ‘your reason to get out of bed in the morning’. It is that place where your passion, mission, calling and career intersect. Finding your personal ‘Ikigai’ contributes to living a happy, successful and healthy life.
We hope these tips will help you create a valuable reflective practice for this end of the year and make for an inspirational wrap-up of 2023, celebrating all the good you have to offer!
Resources to dive deeper:
Aside from the various articles on reflective practice you can find on our platform, you might also be interested in following a masterclass to support your end of the year reflection and start the new year strong:
- Becoming Focused and Indistractable – Free Masterclass by Nir Eyal
- The Business Freedom Blueprint – Free Masterclass by Eric Edmeades
Or, take a course on personal development which matches your findings from the reflection questions:
- The Complete Personal Development Masterclass For Success
- Wheel of life (Course + Certificate)
- IKIGAI – Find Your Life Purpose (Course + Certificate)