Richard Gesteland (Richard R. Gesteland) is an author, speaker, and international consultant. His expertise lies in negotiating, selling, marketing, and managing across cultures. He authored various books, including ‘Cross-cultural Business Behavior.’ In this book, his experience in international management is narrowly and practically described. He additionally originated the concept of Patterns of Cross-Cultural Business Behavior.
Biography Richard Gesteland
Richard Gesteland studied at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the United States. After his study, he only worked at two companies, but the tasks he executed made him possible to travel around the globe.
In 1962, Richard Gesteland started his career as an Export Marketer for the American company A. Torres Export located in Frankfurt, Germany. In this period, Richard Gesteland also worked as a pro bono consultant on Export Marketing and advised the trade authorities of various countries, including Egypt, Morocco, Sri Lanka, and Turkey. Richard Gesteland additionally worked in this period together with multiple intergovernmental organizations such as the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, and the United Nations International Trade Center. He consulted the organizations on how developing countries’ manufacturers can meet the requirements of international customers.
Richard Gesteland continued to work in this position for three years. In 1965, he worked as an overseas buyer for Sears Roebuck and Co., an American chain department stores, in Austria. His achievements at the company got him promoted to a manager at the company. As Richard Gesteland now worked as a manager at Sears, he was offered an expatriate assignment in India. He was now responsible for setting up the first Asian buying office of Sears Roebuck and Co.
Richard Gesteland completed the assignment, and next worked in numerous other positions at the Sears Roebuck and Co. He worked as a coordinator of overseas buying, as a manager for international sourcing, as a general manager, as a vice president, and as a director.
Richard Gesteland learned by doing. In his expatriate positions, he traveled to numerous countries, including Germany, Austria, Brazil, India, and Singapore. He kept developing his intercultural, advising, and negotiating skills which today still are appreciated by many companies.
In 1993, Richard Gesteland’s expertise and achievements raised global recognition. He was later invited to provide keynotes and workshop for companies and universities around the globe. Richard Gesteland visited universities in more than 20 countries, including the Netherlands, Switzerland, Thailand, China, Lithuania, and Singapore. He also consulted large corporations such as Daimler, Nokia, Siemens, Harley-Davidson, and Maersk Oil & Gas.
Richard Gesteland additionally made use of his entrepreneurial ability. In 1994, he established Global Management LLC. The organization helps companies enhance their business through building skills for successful intercultural leadership and negotiation.
During Richard Gesteland professional career, he authored and co-authored other books and publications such as the ‘Global Manager at Work’ and ‘Marketing Across Cultures in Asia.’ His papers on negotiation have been published by numerous academic journals, including the Asian Wall Street Journal, Foreign Trade, and Singapore Economic Journal. These papers have additionally been translated into various languages.
Since 2004, Richard Gesteland also offers speaking and training activities. These activities are provided internationally at many universities and companies.
Richard Gesteland currently lives in Madison in the United States and still work as a speaker, trainer, and executive coach. He provides seminars, workshops, and speaking engagements in the field of Cultural Competence, Cross-Cultural Solutions, Cross-Cultural Training, Negotiating Across Culture, Managing Across Culture, and Cross-Cultural Business Communications.
Publications and Books by Richard Gesteland et al.
- 2012. Cross-cultural business behavior: A guide for global management. Copenhagen Business School Press DK.
- 2010. India: Cross-cultural business behavior: For business people, expatriates and scholars. Copenhagen Business School Press DK.
- 2008. Intercultural Management in the Baltic Sea Region. Promoting Intercultural Management for Working Life in the Baltic Sea Region, 66.
- 2005. Cross-cultural business behavior: Negotiating, selling, sourcing and managing across cultures. Copenhagen Business School Pr.
- 2002. Marketing across cultures in Asia. Copenhagen Business School Press DK.
- 2002. Gesteland Cross-Cultural Business Behavior. Copenhagen Business School Press.
- 2002. Cross-cultural business behavior: Marketing, negotiating, sourcing and managing across cultures. Copenhagen Business School Pr.
- 2001. Marketing Negotiating and Managing Across Cultures.
- 1999. Toward an understanding of the Danish business culture.
- 1999. Global Business Behaviour. Erfolgreiches Verhalten und Verhandeln im internationalen Geschäft. Zürich.
- 1999. Cross-Cultural Business Behavior: Marketing, Negotiating, And Managing Across Cultures. Copenhagen.
- 1998. Do’s and taboos: Proper etiquette in the global marketplace. The Rotarian, 26-29.
- 1996. Cross-cultural Business Behavior: Marketing, Negotiating and Managing Across Cultures, Handelsh* jskolens Forlag, Copenhagen. Glaser, BG 1992, Basics of Grounded Theory.
How to cite this article:
Zeeman, A. (2018). Richard Gesteland. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/richard-gesteland/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=” https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/richard-gesteland/”>ToolsHero.com:Richard Gesteland </a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!