Please help us by disabling your ad blocker.
Michael Porter (1947) is professor and a management guru in the field of competitive strategy and Department Head of Harvard Business School (HBS). The Competitive Forces Model (or ‘Five Forces Model’), the Value Chain Model, the Porter diamond model and the theories on generic competitive strategy that were developed by him are known worldwide at every level of management.
Biography Michael Porter
Michael Porter is the author of famous management books such as Competitive Strategy (1980), Competitive Advantage (1985), Competition in Global industries (1986) and The Competitive Advantage of Nations (1990).
These publications are all best-selling books and have made Michael Porter world-famous in the field of competitive strategy.
The power of Michael Porter ’s publications lies in their practical character.
Michael Porter ’s publications provide entrepreneurs with extensive guidelines for obtaining better operating results.
10 famous quotes by Michael Porter
- “Innovation is the central issue in economic prosperity.”
- “The best CEO’s I know are teachers, and at the core of what they teach is strategy.”
- “The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do.”
- “The company without a strategy is willing to try anything.”
- “If all you’re trying to do is essentially the same thing as your rivals, then it’s unlikely that you’ll be very successful.”
- “Finally, strategy must have continuity. It can’t be constantly reinvented.”
- “Strategy 101 is about choices: You can’t be all things to all people.”
- “The essence of strategy is that you must set limits on what you’re trying to accomplish.”
- “Companies operating in urban communities have a tremendous ripple effect.”
- “Good leaders need a positive agenda, not just an agenda of dealing with crisis.”
Publications and books by Michael Porter et al.
- 2011. Creating shared value. Harvard business review, 89(1/2), 62-77.
- 2011, 1990. Competitive advantage of nations: creating and sustaining superior performance. Simon and Schuster.
- 2008. On competition. Harvard Business Press.
- 2008. The five competitive forces that shape strategy. Harvard business review, 86(1), 25-40.
- 2008. Competitive strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors. Simon and Schuster.
- 2006. Redefining health care: creating value-based competition on results. Harvard Business Press.
- 2003. The Economic Performance of Regions, Journal: Regional Studies – REG STUD , vol. 37, no. 6-7, pp. 545-546.
- 2002. The determinants of national innovative capacity, Journal: Research Policy – RES POLICY , vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 899-933.
- 2002. The competitive advantage of corporate philanthropy. Harvard business review, 80(12), 56-68.
- 2002. The determinants of national innovative capacity. Research policy, 31(6), 899-933.
- 2001. Strategy and the Internet. Harvard business review, 79(3), 62-79.
- 2000. Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy, Journal: Economic Development Quarterly – ECON DEV Q, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 15-34.
- 1998. Clusters and the new economics of competition (Vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 77-90). Boston: Harvard Business Review.
- 1998. Clusters and competition: New agendas for companies, governments, and institutions (pp. 197-287). Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- 1998, 1985. Competitive advantage: creating and sustaining superior performance. FreePress.
- 1997. How much does industry matter, really?.
- 1997. Competitive Strategy, Journal: Measuring Business Excellence , vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 12-17.
- 1996. What is strategy?. Published November.
- 1996. Competitive advantage, agglomeration economies, and regional policy. International regional science review, 19(1-2), 85-90.
- 1995. Green and competitive: ending the stalemate. Reader In Business And The Environment, 61.
- 1995. Toward a new conception of the environment-competitiveness relationship. The journal of economic perspectives, 97-118.
- 1995. The competitive advantage of the inner city. The city reader, 274-286.
- 1994. The Role of Location in Competition, International Journal of The Economics of Business , vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35-40.
- 1992. Capital choices: Changing the way America invests in industry. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 5(2), 4-16.
- 1991. Strategy: Seeking and Securing Competitive Advantage. Harvard Business Review Press.
- 1991. Towards a dynamic theory of strategy. Strategic management journal, 12(S2), 95-117.
- 1991. Capital disadvantage: America’s failing capital investment system. Harvard business review, 70(5), 65-82.
- 1991. Towards a dynamic theory of strategy, Journal: Strategic Management Journal – STRATEG MANAGE J , vol. 12, no. S2, pp. 95-117.
- 1990. Competitive Advantage of Nations, Journal: Competitive Intelligence Review , vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 14-14.
- 1987. From competitive advantage to corporate strategy (Vol. 59). Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business Review.
- 1986. Competition in global industries. Harvard Business Press.
- 1986. Coalitions and global strategy. Competition in global industries, 1(10), 315-343.
- 1986. Changing patterns of international competition, Journal: The International Executive, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 13-14.
- 1985. How information gives you competitive advantage.
- 1982. Business policy: Text and cases (p. 7). RD Irwin.
- 1981. The contributions of industrial organization to strategic management. Academy of management review, 6(4), 609-620.
- 1980. Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors. Free Press.
- 1979. The structure within industries and companies’ performance. The review of economics and statistics, 214-227.
- 1979. How competitive forces shape strategy (pp. 21-38). Boston: Harvard Business Review.
- 1985. How Information Gives You Competitive Advantage.
- 1979. The Structure within Industries and Companies Performance.
- 1979. How Competitive Forces Shape Strategy. Harvard Business Review.
- 1977. From entry barriers to mobility barriers: Conjectural decisions and contrived deterrence to new competition. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 241-261.
How to cite this article:
Van Vliet, V. (2009). Michael Porter. Retrieved [insert date] from ToolsHero: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/michael-porter/
Add a link to this page on your website:
<a href=”https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/michael-porter/”>ToolsHero.com: Michael Porter</a>
Did you find this article interesting?
Your rating is more than welcome or share this article via Social media!